Saturday, December 8, 2007

HWY 76 REOPENED

The torrential rains that the authorities expected and which caused them to threaten to completely shut down Hwy 76 between Lake Henshaw and Valley Center Road did not materialize, so they reopened Hwy 76 yesterday afternoon. However, they kept open the option of reclosing part of Hwy 76 if heavy rains show up later in the week.

Sheriff's Lt. Sean Gerrity sent me this email in reply to a query from me about the situation:

"If we close again, it will be 76 between Valley Center Road and Lake Henshaw. Palomar Mountain residents and businesses will have access via Hwy 79, to Hwy 76, to East Grade only. The mudslide potential along the closed stretch of Hwy 76, because of the burn areas along the south face of Mt. Palomar, is exceptionally high and hazardous at many points along this stretch of roadway during significant rain and storm events (my favorite mountain is now causing me worries!).

Because of a chance of thunderstorms this afternoon and possibly through to tomorrow morning, I'm coming to work on my day off to monitor it. Hopefully, we'll dodge another bullet."

No comments: